Living Sky School Division is situated in Saskatchewan and all lessons and units are developed to teach Saskatchewan Dance Education Outcomes. Lessons are organized using a five part lesson plan format (as developed by Anne Green Gilbert), the music selections are primarily from the ‘Music for Creative Dance‘ CDs by Eric Chappelle.
Planning Format: Five Part Lesson Plan
- Warm Up – introduce lesson concept
- Exploring the Concept – Explore the concept with structured improvisation and dance activities.
- Developing Skills – Learn and practice dance skills, language, phrases and combinations.
- Creating – Generate new movement ideas based on the lesson concept or theme.
- Cooling Down – Share, assess and review lesson. Prepare for transition using relaxing movements, music, etc.
All lessons and units are created by Ashley Johnson for Living Sky School Division as part of a Creative Partnership project in 2011 – 2013. Teachers are encouraged to use these resources and to adapt to suit the needs of your students:
Teacher Workshop PD Teachers guide – Creative Dance
Rhythm and BD 1 (Brain Dance)
Rhythm and BD 2 (Brain Dance)
Creative Dance Activities: Kindergarten – Grade 8
My Dancing Brain
Dancing Brain grade 3 (pdf)
Essential Question: How can I use brain dance to regulate my behaviour and still have fun creating?
Created by Ashley Johnson and Kitty Morin
This Land is Our Land: Treaty Relationships
Arts Education (drama, dance) and Social Studies, Grade 3
Essential Question: How do cultures change and influence one another over time?
Created by: Sherron Burns, Rae Lyn Favel, Ashley Johnson & Kimberlee Schlageter
Seeing Dance through Light
Dance & sciencegr 4 unit (pdf)
Arts Education (dance) and Science, grade 4
Essential Question: How can concepts about light be expressed through dance?
Created by: Ashley Johnson and Sarah Roche